Dark Chocolate Health Benefits
There are numerous health benefits obtained with dark chocolate. You must have heard that eating a chocolate increases your calories and weight…Then wait a second… why don’t you try out a few dark chocolates? It’s not only about the special taste but also the special health benefits, we get through it.
Dark chocolate is made up of cocoa beans, which are rich in flavonoids. Flavanoids are a rich source of health benefits so greater the cocoa content greater is the amount of flavonoids.
The dark chocolate also serves as a powerhouse of antioxidants.
Here are a few Dark Chocolate Health Benefits:
- It reduces blood pressure.
- Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants.
- It helps in the proper functioning of your cardiovascular system.
- It can help in curing several diseases like heart disorders and cancer.
- Dark chocolates help the brain to release endorphins, which help in mood elevation and also remove headaches. It is also a good remedy for treating depression.
- It increases the appetite. It helps in reducing weight.
- People undergoing through the treatment of high blood sugar can also have dark chocolate as it is beneficial for diabetes.
- By dilating the blood-vessels of the brain the flavonoids of the dark chocolate help in supplying more blood and oxygen to the brain thereby increasing the power.
- The flavonoids maintain the blood pressure and also reduce the chances of blood clotting, which results in lesser heart attacks and strokes.
- The antioxidant property of dark chocolate helps it in reducing the LDL cholestrol of the body.
- It also reduces the probability of getting Alzheimer’s disease.
- It also increases longevity.
- The cocoa butter obtained from the cocoa beans’ acts as a good and natural moisturizer. Massaging the skin with dark chocolate improves the texture of the skin.
- Cocoa from early ages has been used as an anti-bacterial food. Hence it can be used for preventing dermatitis, eczema, and it removes stretch marks during and after pregnancy.
- Being a rich source of magnesium it helps in proper working of your heart.
- Consuming few pieces of dark chocolate regularly help in maintaining your blood pressure
- Another myth about having dark chocolate- it causes tooth decay. This also has been found out by the scientist as either overstated or entirely false.
Tooth cavities take place due to bacteria called streptococcus mutans, which produce glucan (a sticky molecule) that makes the bacteria secure it to the teeth and cause tooth decay forming plaque.
However, studies have shown that the cocoa butter in the dark chocolate covers the teeth and prevents the formation of plaque.
You can receive the dark chocolate health benefits only if you eat it in moderation. It is suggested that about 1- 2 ounces should be included in your daily diet regime. Numbers of dark chocolate manufacturers are coming up with new ideas of better quality chocolate. However, you should buy only that chocolate which has cocoa content greater than 70%.